What is a Face Serum?
A face serum is a thin topical that contains concentrated amounts of active ingredients, such as Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid, or anti-ageing retinol. The larger amounts of active ingredients in face serums lead to deeper penetration of the skin's surface for optimum effectiveness. For the same reason, the intended results of using a face serum are usually visible quicker as well.
How do I choose a Face Serum?
It's important to choose a face serum depending on your personal skin goals, rather than buying them because they worked for someone else. Face serums can be roughly divided into the following categories (click on the desired category to view our product suggestions): Anti-ageing serums, skin-brightening serums, hydrating serums, free-radical fighting serums, acne-prone/sensitive skin serums, and skin texture improvement serums.
Generally speaking, antioxidants will help brighten your skin, hyaluronic acid and peptides hydrate your skin and retinols (Vitamin A or glycolic acid) work on increased skin cell turnover (which means they help reduce fine lines and wrinkles).
Be careful about mixing face serums with Vitamin C or Retinol, as these ingredients don't play well with certain others. The same can be said for chemical exfoliants, like AHA or BHA.
If you're unsure whether you can mix a face serum with another product, please feel free to reach out to us and we'll be happy to help! #WellnessIsPersonal
Should I use a Face Serum every day?
Most face serums are safe to be used once or twice a day. Simply use them after your cleanser and before you apply your moisturiser and SPF. Be careful around face serums that contain chemical exfoliants, as these should only be used a few times a week.
What are the Benefits of using a Face Serum?
- Absorbs quicker into your skin: Thanks to their lightweight formulations, face serums are ideal for the first step in the layering process of your routine.
- Soothes sensitive skin: Acne-prone or oily skin will greatly benefit from face serums and their light preparations.
- Improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles: Some typical face serum ingredients, like retinol, may help with the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Protects your skin from free radicals and future damage: Ingredients, like Vitamins C and E, can help prevent oxidative damage from UV light and pollution.
- Feels light on your skin: Face serums tend to quickly absorb into your skin, not making it feel greasy or heavy.